Friday, May 31, 2013

V and Co: spring 2013 portland oregon market recap

truth is...i didn't take a single picture with my "good camera" and all i have are my instagram photos to go off of!
but that's okay cause i guess i did okay on taking pictures of...
oh my gosh...
 well sort of. i mean i did have some people take pictures using my phone as well.
as you can see...i never really ventured out of my little section at the moda section. i got to hang out with miss sandy klopbunny hill design, sweet water, and me and my sister on one of the design walls.

V and Co.'s section on the Moda design wall

speaking of me and my sister design. they have the best moda market write up

we had a blast over in that section and i am very happy that i got to spend time with all of them and to get them set up with instagram. well maybe. 
i mean i was like "oh look how cute they are all staring at their phones at the same time (yeah all of them like sandy klop, anne sutton, the sweetwater girls, and then later on the me and my sister gals jumped on board too, with further instructions from the social media queen herself camille roskelly  after i left. 
later i felt like i had done a bad thing to introduce to them this addiction. but actually now being 2 weeks out of market i love it that they are instagram junkies because i get to see what they are doing day to day. :) you should follow them they will be very excited if you heart their pictures...and well you will get to see susan's remodeling of her home... have i mentioned i'm obsessed with instagram too? yep shh don't tell my blog. oh wait i think it already knows. :P

for some reason i don't eat a bunch when i'm at market.  but the stir fry i kept smelling was calling my name and i had to get some the second day and it was sooooooooooo good. like super yummy.
it was so yummy that i really still think about it. and can't wait to have it again some day. :)
okay wait what was i talking about...instagram, food...oh yeah market! 

this new line of mine (due to hit stores in july) continues with the same theme as the first of ombre and play with color and prints. so of course i had to have an ombre print like i did with my first line with the dots. 
this time i went with chevrons. 
when i first started the draft drawing for the chevron i had a bag in mind and well i made a pattern for it the hampton bag  but i knew i wanted a skirt in it. 
and well i have to give a shout out to my skirt maker amy webb of amy lou who last year she made my skirt using my first line simply color and this time she made another one for me using my ombre chevron fabric for this new line simply style.
love this skirt...and have already worn them a few times after market as well. 
it's a simplicity pattern for the A-Line skirt. amy has some tips she's going to put up on her blog about sewing with this pattern and fabric. (i think she said on monday :))
she did a bang up job and i am so SO grateful for her help with making me skirts to wear at market. :) 

 portland showing off it's gorge sunset

so little known fact:
i get nervous in front of large audiences. yeah yeah nothing special, lots of people get nervous vanessa. but yeah, when i say i get nervous i mean i get down right want to panic nervous.
BUT i am working on it. i really am. i mean one on one i'm like golden...even like a small group of people... i can totally be my loud self.
HECK, put me in front of a class where i'm teaching with the sewing machine, i'll ease into my gig and be all kinds of me and relaxed...after my first initial panic mode...
but you put me up in front of a LARGE crowd and not for a long period of time... for some reason, my voice gets shaky and my eyes start a buggin' and all of a sudden i feel the need to speak a 100 miles a minute and i feel like i'm running a marathon. oh what? you want to see it? sure here it is... the fat quarter shop did a video of the moda school house. i make my awesome sauce appearance at 17:55

yeah i know, i look pretty darn amaze balls but the rapid speaking and the shortness of breath kind of give me away. 
the great news is...i'm doing leaps and bounds better than the first time i had to speak to a large audience. at least this time i didn't feel like i was going to poop my pants and toss my cookies...i just may have a couple of minutes here and there that i look like i wanted to throw up. 
baby steps. 
V and Co at Aurifil schoolhouse talking about who the heck knows what.
i figure in like a few more year's i'll be all swanky up there and so darn relaxed that people will put my face next to the word "totally relaxed" in the dictionary. and then there wont be any pictures like this one up above of me looking anything but relaxed to be had... (thank you to julie for capturing this gem of a picture which btw makes me laugh so hard every time i see it.)
just you see.
in a few years i'll be showing up wheeled in a bed and pjs and bed head, looking as relaxed as a college kid after all their finals to graduate. 
don't believe me? yep, me neither...but i'm sure it'll just keep getting easier. 
and well, since i'm still not that relaxed i do have to say thank you to a few lovely ladies and especially these two. erika is just one of those lovely ladies that  even though we've met a handful of times she's like totally like the longest friend you've had the second you meet her. she's just a little on the awesome side and i like her a lot. 
then there's megan who does a lot for me on the "calm your freak self down" on a regular basis. and not just during market time. at any given time of the year she'll get a rapid series of texts and she usually talks me out of it. she's a great person to mentally slap me with a "YOU DID FINE. GREAT EVEN. GO GET CHOCOLATE...AND CALM THE HECK DOWN ITS OVER"
she physically did that for me during market schoolhouse (well not literally slap me but you get what i mean.) on occasion she is of NO help to me like when we both lost our hotel key. it was funny though.

all in all this quilt market, being my sophomore one, was a nice little more on the laid back side, and i had a blast with people. last year i was a little too strung up to relax and would crash at the end of each day the minute i could back at the hotel room. it was a nice change and i enjoyed myself. :)

the highlight of my time was when i nearly started crying when i saw kay of sew serendipity  came to see me in person to show me her marilyn dress she made with my fabric.
i am still blown away with how gorgeous it is, and i am in such awe of garment sewers that i couldn't help it. i got a little verclempt.

so i had to leave early on sunday...
and well because it wouldn't be a V and Co trip without some kind of "story" that went along with it...of course the odds of an easy going trip home would not be in my favor.

so yeah... i left on sunday early morning for  what i thought was my 10 am flight. i got at the airport really early because i am like that and like to have a lot of time before i have to get on a plane...just in case. and well thank heavens i did...because when i got up to the line and was ready to get my plane ticket the lady looked at me and was like: "oh sweetie your ticket is for next sunday."

i just sat there and stared at the lady. blinked a few times and was like:
"excuse me?"
nice lady: "yeeeeah, see here," she says pointing to the date on the paper. "it says may 26. today isn't may 26. that's next sunday."

i stared at her again. mouth slightly agape and i think i made a little squeaking noise.

in my head all i could think was "of course its for next sunday because why would i have just a normal run of the mill experience going home from quilt market?"
uhhhhhhhhhhh......"what do i do?  i need to leave and get home today."
they told me for a reasonable price they could put me on standby for the next possible flight. oh no wait, no they couldn't because the connecting flight left before you got there...soooo maybe they could put you on this other connecting flight and then get you to denver and they you have a layover of just 1 hour and then you should be on your way to good ol iowa. or something like that. she explained it first and then needed me to say yay or nay that i was up for the challenge.
okay lets do that...i think...

dear heavens this isn't going to work.

while the lady's fingers hit her keyboard at rapid speeds trying to  reroute me she kept talking to herself "no wait that doesn't work, maybe if we do this, no that's san francisco, we want iowa, okay maybe we do this and it gives her time to get to there, but what about the luggage...hmm maybe this...and then we can...yep...i think that might work."
i just sat there like:

is it going to work?
she finally looked up and said "okay. here's what we're going to do..." then she explained how she was going to take my luggage and send it out first so that if i dont make the first standby it's okay because my bag will at least get there before me rather than after me, and then she told me all these hoops and dance moves my luggage was going to do to make sure it's there when i do get to my final destination.
i was pretty sure once i let her take my bag that would be the last time i would ever see it. so i said my final farewell and then started on my way. she waved and smiled as i walked away hesitantly looking back. and then thinking "alright. lets do this."

and i did.
when i got to the gate C which just so happens to be in the basement area of the airport. oh yes, yes it was. when i got there, i had to squint because it wasn't as brightly lit up as the upstairs main airport area, and then when my eyes adjusted i was a little taken back. there were like 20 people and half of them were asleep lying down in random places and corners.
"where in the...okay..." i muttered.
i asked the attendant at the front desk if this was where standby for flight so and so was. and she said "yeah. it is."
so i sat down. next to the guy covered in newpaper for a blanket (i'm exaggerating naturally) but it felt like the desolate area that no one knew except for all the standby losers like myself.
the good news was that i got on my first standby plane. YES! my luck was on an upswing! i would be getting there right when i thought i would (slightly later but whatev)

i even saw my luggage getting on the wind up plane i was getting on and i was beyond excited at the turn of my events.
fight was great.
and i got to denver with ample time ( like 45 minutes) before i had to get onto my connector flight home.
so then i go to look at the screen to see what gate i need to hurry to, so that i can get a little bit of junk food to eat while on my second flight...
and well when looking up at the screen i see one "canceled" flight.
and yep you got it my face went from this:
 quickly to this:
and then to this:

of course. naturally it was the only flight canceled.
so i marched to the first person with an airport outfit on. and asked "my flight was canceled what do i do?" 
she answered " you go to guest services" 
so i go to guest services...only to find it like the sahara desert, with tumbleweeds blowing by with how vacant and desolate it was.
i go back the ever so helpful airport lady. "...and if there's no one at guest services..."
she answers without looking up (this i am not exagerating on) "...then you go to another guest services..."
"...and where exactly would that be?"
she waved her hand in a direction and then i turned and left and found the next place only to find out and be told that the next flight out would not be for another 9 hours. 

thankfully i only freaked out in my head like this. 
but i did do a maniac sort of laugh. which i think scared the lady helping. 
i calmed down. and then smiled and said 
"i'm having an awesome day. how bout you?" 
she looked scared but answered "oh i'm doin' alright...have a nice...fli..."
"stay? yeah i'll do that. i'll have a nice stay. thank you." she smiled and chuckled and i smiled and chuckled too. 
and well i sat and ate, and window shopped around the "B" section of the denver airport for 9 hours. 
i got on my plane (which i was pretty sure was going get canceled as well because of the tornados in the midwest happening that day) but it didn't. 
i got in at my rinky-dink airport at 12:30 monday morning. 
and had to sit there along with 100 other people for an hour. for our luggage to show up. 
i finally got my luggage. and my husband came to find me looking like:

but i was home.
and i had an awesome market.
can't wait to do it again.
well minus the last part.


Krista said...

Oh gosh, this cracked me up! Glad you made it home safely after all of that.

Lisa said...

I love reading all the quilt blogs out there...BUT....yours, yours is THE ONE and only that consistently has me in tears its so funny....I love your life....don't want it but love to read about it!!!!! Thank you for always making me laugh out loud.

Nicole said...

So glad you made it home. we've spent many hours stuck in least no kids. I remembering running out of diapers - or at least being too conservative in their use - in the days before they sold them in airport stores...

leslie King said...


Audrie said...

OMG I'm sorry but that was freaking hilarious!!! Glad you made it home... Eventually :)

Esch House Quilts said...

Can't wait for your new line - those chevron skirts are fantastic!

OMG - 9 hours in the Denver airport! My flight from Denver was delayed an hour and I thought that was bad enough :) We were probably sitting there being bored at the same time. Glad you made it home safely!

Esch House Quilts said...

Ooop, no - I was there on Monday :)

Mindy said...

I just realized that I'm not following you on instagram, so I remedied that right away. Also, you might want to post another pic asap, because right at this moment you have 666 photos...

Tennjenny said...

so, so, so funny. (sorry)

PamKittyMorning said...

I love this post more than you can imagine. You crack me up. It was awesome to meet you in real life!

My robot proving words are: youkiti Nasa. Meow.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

You tell the most hilarious stories. Love it! Maybe you should write more than sewing books!

Marianne said...

I love the faces - so funny! What a bummer it was such a hassle to get home. What a waste of a day, but you got there eventually and at least you didn't have to sleep in the airport. I have done this and it wasn't much fun and I was 20, so could not do it now.

Janelle @ Emmaline Bags said...

I've been waiting for this story!! I love this post. Damn we would get on so well!

So sorry you went through all that, but thanks!


Bryan and Lizzie said...

I could not stop laughing at your absolutely perfect pictures!! I'm so sorry you had to suffer through that, but thank you for the ab workout from laughing so hard!

jlk said...

Okay, that was hilarious.

Gina S said...

Laughing so hard i had tears. Those faces PERFECT!!!! Sorry you had a bad trip, but happy to know i'm not the only one that has days like that.

Unknown said...

You have got to be kidding! You know, if I wasn't such a stalker you may have accepted to stay in Portland an extra day (or week!). Thanks for the funny story!


PS- you were great at schoolhouse (no squeakiness detected)

the momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Grace said...

Oh MY!!! You are so stinkin' funny, if this whole fabric design thing with the quilts doesn't work out for you, you can always do standup on Comedy Central. ;-)

That chevron fabric is perfect for the skirt AND dress. Who knew that LouWho made skirts to order?!

Glad you had a (mostly!) great trip to Quilt Market and that you're home now, safe, sound, and as sane as you'll ever be!

Lisa E said...

Oh My God. That story. Too funny! Don't you sometimes think, "This will make a great story later on. Everyone will love it when I post to the blog." Well, we do love it! The images cracked me.

Vicki said...

so 2 years ago I was going to my 20 year high school reunion and I flew from KC to Denver and then was going to go to Utah for my reunion. But my flight left late from KC and I missed my connection and there had been a huge storm in Denver so all these flights were canceled and I had to get on standby and they gave me vouchers and stuff.

And I had my 2 yo girl with me and my husband was driving with our boys to Utah... he drove through Denver before I left. And there was me crying because I was sleep deprived and stressed and I had to deal with her car seat... and finally I made the connection and got to Utah and my reunion, an hour late.

I am the other V. Christensen, by the way.

Lindsay Conner said...

Oh my gosh, I think I would have panicked if that were me at the airport! I can imagine how good it felt to finally be home. :) I watched the video, and I thought your schoolhouse talk was great! I get nervous speaking in front of crowds too, but it's good to hear that it gets easier.

Karen said...

OMG, your flight story is so familiar! My 9-hour delay in Denver was after being told our connecting flights were being held -- all were delayed due to storms. My brother and I get to the gate (we were traveling to my mom's 70th birthday party in WY)and are relieved to see the plane still there with the door to the jetway open. But oh, no, we cannot get on the plane because we are "too late." We along with 11 other people who have run through multiple terminals look like the bug-eyed photos you posted. The next flight is in 9 hours. Our plane remains on the tarmac for another 15 minutes at least. We are missing an entire day of our 4-day trip across the country, losing all that time with our wonderful mother. Oh, and it turns out that it's the day that Verizon is down across all the western states, so we can't reach her to let her know! Her only service is Verizon. Well, my bro's girlfriend is living in Denver at the time, so he calls her and she rushes to meet us at the airport. She is beyond thrilled to be able to see him, and for 8 hours keeps repeating this -- Ï am SO happy! I can't BELIEVE it!" Each time she says it I want to punch her harder. Well, I never would have done it, but that's how I felt.

To top it off, I got sick and was in bed most of the time I was at Mom's. I made it to the party but felt pretty rocky. I blame that on the airlines and airport as well."

BTW, I assumed they had already given our seats away which is why they wouldn't let us board, but our mom said hardly anyone got off the plane, so it was far from full. Yes, she was there waiting for us because we couldn't reach her by phone. When we didn't show up, she borrowed someone's phone with a different service and called us.

Sorry for the long comment, but I hope you get as much entertainment from this escapade as I did reading about yours.


Sarah @ said...

1. You're so funny. :)

2. That marilyn dress in your fabric looks really amazing.

3. I get super nervous and nauseous and short of breath when I have to speak in front of ppl too. Next time let's tell ourselves: if we can finish a quilt, we can finish a sentence... out loud... with a crowd of ppl just happening to overhear...

Unknown said...

i need to make it a habit of reading your blog again. HILARIOUS!!! and I'm so glad you had fun at market!! (minus the last part)

Anna said...

hahaha, awesome. You're just awesome that's all. :)

Gloria Martin said...

I've only ever said this to two people in my whole life, you and my friend, Kristy, but here goes..."are you sure your calling isn't to be a comedian"? I have not laughed that hard since the other day when I watched Duck Dynasty, but that's a whole different kind of hilarious. Thank you Vanessa. I actually cried from laughing so hard. Great way to start off a Monday morning!

mo said...

That blog post was awesome. You are charming and hilarious!! Glad you finally got home safe and sound. I hope we get to hang out more next market!

hydeeannsews said...

you are adorable!

and that flight stuff would totally happen to me,too. kinda has. we got an "extra day" in hawaii away from our 5 kids ("hey, mom, i know you have to leave but we won't be home til tomorrow midnight")with no rental car after about 6 hours in a deserted airport in the wee hours followed by a 2 hour check-in line at a crummy "complimentary" hotel. and then sat on the tarmac at home, staring at all the empty gates til they got ours ready, for over an hour at one in the morning. memories, man. =)

booboomac said...

I needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks! Now I'm off to face this wretched day!

V and Co. said...

thanks guys love that you can laugh at my awesome sauce ness. it takes talent sometimes to have crazy follow you like that. :)

Thimbleanna said...

You are TOOOO funny Ms. V! We just had an amazing (not) airport experience so I thought the only proper thing to do was to borrow and link to you and your turtle. ;-D

Bennett and Graves said...

Last Sept I spent 14 hours getting less than 60 miles from home when my plane, supposed to leave from LAX, broke and I (fortunately) spent the night in a hotel in Hollywood. Rather than winging my way towards Europe. I've seen a similar desert in Atlanta....

Andrew and Darcy said...

blahahahhahah! At least Denver is a nice airport! Made me laugh! I love all the visuals. Good post!

The Yoder's Five said...

Your celebrity collage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin